URGENT: UPDATE 4. Hiba Al-Shamaree Iraqi Female Blogger
In that link provided there is also a petition which you can sign. So please do so.
And someone who insists on remaining anonymous kindly translated the latest appeal sent by her sister Huda Al-Shamaree. So THANK YOU Anonymous.
The Iraqi Government, which had previously denied the existence of Dr. Hanan Al-Mashhadani (aka Hiba Al-Shammari), has finally allowed a telephone conversation between Dr. Al-Mashhadani and her lawyer, Mr. Karim Ahmed Al-Asadi. During the conversation which took only five minutes, the legal status and nature of charges against Dr. Al-Mashhadani were discussed. According to what we got from the lawyer, the charges revolve around the rubbery Terrorism Act that has been known to take the shape and form of its implementing parties.
- Supporting terrorism through written articles described as "confidential", and requesting Dr. Hanan to reveal her journalistic sources.
- Encouraging terrorist attacks on police and army by terrorist elements.
- Prejudicing symbolic national and religious figures.
- Impersonating the character of an existing Iraqi writer (although they have not told us who that writer might be).
- Dr. Hanan told us that she was subjected to harsh treatment and verbal assault, and that she was under solitary confinement and had been given poor food.
- Trial is going to be held on 3/3/2010.
Awaiting your responses to save your honor and the daughters of Iraq We appeal to every honorable person to raise his/her voice in condemnation.
I have read Hiba's Blog in Arabic and I saw nothing in it that fits the allegations/charges leveled against her.
A female blogger, 33 years old , a medical doctor is arrested, imprisoned and subjected to torture because of her writing on a blog.
Is that the new Iraq that the US has promised us ? Is that what thousands of Iraqis were tortured, exiled and killed for ?
Are you going to do something about this woman's appeal or are you just going to close your eyes again, pretend it's not happening and just allow another Iraqi innocent victim's life go ?!