Gallows of Deceit, Gallows of Shame.
Yes indeed you are now Free. Free from the filth we are witnessing.
At present, a good deal of Iraqis are timidly coming out of their "ideological hideouts" with a little regret here and a bit of remorse there and coyly pussyfooting around the subject.
They say and am quoting from the various sources I read and from people I have been listening to (rather impatiently,I must admit) :
- Well, he was a dictator, but I sort of miss him.
- This is no way to execute a President and on the day of the Eid !
- He was ruthless but I must admit he did a lot for Iraq
- In the end he handed it all to his tribe. But to be honest we did not know sectarianism during his reign.
- I think he was right about Iran. I did not believe him then.
- True, compared to other places,the Kurds had it better.
- At least I had a job, running water and electricity
- He was no human right activist and never claimed to be a democrat. Do you remember the number of Phd holders in Iraq ?
- Yeah , all my tuition was paid for and I got a scholarship to study abroad.
- I was never a Baathi but I was never bothered by them.
- Remember when Arabs used to come and seek medical treatment in our hospitals?
- My brother was sent to North Africa to teach for free. The Iraqi government paid his salary.
- Even during the sanction years we had more to eat than now.
- Can you imagine that? We actually had an infrastructure.
- Ok I did not like him, but hell , anything is better than now.
- May God bless you Saddam Hussein a thousand times, you had vision.
- He is our Martyr. At least he died with dignity. Wait and see what will happen to the thugs of today. They will not be spared.
- No one dared taking drugs during his time.
- It is true some members of his family committed excesses , but for God sake we women could walk the streets. Who dared raise his voice towards us. We were safe.
- I was respected and had my place. Now I have to veil even when looking out of the window.
- His Death confirms to me that Arab Socialism is still alive.
- Our oil was for us. We had roads, schools, libraries,hospitals,restaurants,hotels...No,no,this cannot go on...
- I would rather be ruled by the Devil himself than by a Cleric. They are crazy.
- As a Christian I always felt protected in Iraq and my rights were safeguarded.
- Oh where are you ya Saddam , where are you ?
" Even prostitutes had more dignity then.. "
I have many more but I will let the coming days, weeks and months fill in the gaps...
Too little, too late Iraqis .
Yalla enjoy your New Year and your "New Iraq".
Painting: Iraqi Artist, Sumer Al Hindawi.