An Air of Freedom...


Something very strange happened last night, late into the night...

I am an owl, I can't sleep before 3-4 am. And as I was preparing myself to go to bed, I drew the shutters down, as a final goodbye...It was cold last night, and as I was about to shut the window as well, I heard a familiar air...

Some neighbor, and he did pique my curiosity, was playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons, in the loudest possible manner at 3.30 am. I, who has very sensitive ears to noise, found myself surprisingly pleased.

Despite the cold breeze, I kept the window open, open enough to hear Vivaldi's Summer movement, followed by Fall. I feared that I might not hear it well whilst I was lying in my bed, so I pulled the shutters up, just a little, enough to let the violins penetrate the darkness of my bedroom...

Before doing all of the above, curiosity took the best of me, and I stood by the window trying to catch where the sound was coming from...

I spotted a small room in not such a far distance, with full bright lights, just like in the Summer. And this is where one of my favorite classical pieces was emanating from.

I am not sure why I assumed it was a man who inhabited this room. I saw no nothing from afar except this bright light. But I had a feeling it was a man. The man after darkness. The man after darkness had settled in like some old familiar blanket, enveloping all of us...

As the Fall movement approached, the "man" switched off the lights, obscuring my vision...but I could still hear the violins playing the Autumn season.

Is it a good omen - I thought to myself ?

After Bach's Double Violin Concerto, Vivaldi is my second favorite.

I was trying to read the signs given to me like some witch staring into empty sea shells...

Questions I asked myself, asked that tired head of mine. Why did the lights go off during the Autumn movement and not during the Summer one ? We are in full Autumn after all. Could it be that the Summer light is making itself so small so it can cocoon itself for a better brighter Spring ? The Lucia of a new era ?

Of course my cynical part led me to also think that the Autumn movement and the switching off of the lights from the only room that was illuminating this night, was due to some heavy hanky panky going on in the obscurity...and that Summer was nothing but the preliminaries (before the "fruit" rippens and falls)...the foreplay, if you wish. Mind you not every one is that "lucky" on this particular front.

After much self debating, I gave up...and just surrendered to the movements coming my way, as an offering, as a present from a terribly cold and silent night.

I occasionally resort to ear plugs specially designed in Germany. A good friend ships them my way, knowing how sensitive my ears are. Yesterday night, I did not need them. Plugging them into my ears was akin to blaspheming God.

I lied down on the crispy, white sheets and felt the cool breeze penetrate my room, accompanied by a hundred violins, carrying an air...An air of Freedom.


P.S: I was not quite sure if I had to publish this on the Uncensored blog or this one. But I finally figured out, that more often than not, the lines are very blurr between the political and the personal...


Painting : Iraqi artist, R. Al-Khafaji.

Comments

Anonymous said…
the first half reads like a hitchcock thriller
Anonymous said…
the 2nd half was a bit anti-climatic though.....and it should have gone in your other blog
Anonymous said…
Music is good for your/our particular quality of pain.

You should never be a moment from now to the Freedom without an air in your ears, or a flower in your nostrils, or a light in your eyes, or a nape in your hands, or a flame in your heart, or a rain in your body...or all together.

The senses are our sheet-anchor.
Anonymous said…
Excuse me, but whoever the above anonymous is - is fucking brilliant. He/She understood it all. Amazing !
As for Michael Jackson, thank you, but thrillers don't impress me much.
Anonymous said…
Your fevered imagination is working overtime. No ten minutes for some, eh? LOL

Interesting icon you've put on your profile.

Lord Dabass
Anonymous said…
Despite your repeated statements that white men and Western civilization have produced no worthwhile culture or history of any worth above your own, I am still glad to hear that you appreciate a good violin concerto.
Anonymous said…
Thank you from the heart. Your compliments always confuse me...

Long live Iraq.
Anonymous said…
I forgot the taste, or a fruit in your mouth.

And Lord Dabass, what you call "some" is implicit, the sense par excellence, the one that dares to defy and dethrone the almighty all feared Death from our minds - even if only for a limited time every time - like small appetizers of Paradise.

But the children of the Pilgrim Fathers, Victoria and the ayatollahs know not or know wrongly...
Anonymous said…
As always, your words relax me. As I read your words, I could hear the music and feel the night air.
Layla, such a refined person of culture.

I also compliment Anonymous who wrote "music is good for..."

Thanx for lovely lines from both of you.
Layla Anwar said…
Lord Dabass,

The story is a true one...not some figment of my imagination. Have you recovered or not yet ?
Layla Anwar said…
anonymous

I don't know who you are but you assume I do. That is so weird. But the internet is full of strange people.
Layla Anwar said…
re.violin concertos.

Dear, I always remind myself that STRING instruments were introduced to the West thanks to Zeryab from Mosul- Iraq.
Layla Anwar said…
Steen,

Hello, and am glad you found it relaxing. I've been told I have this valium effect sometimes only...lol.

I agree with you, anonymous wrote a beautiful soothing comment.
Layla Anwar said…
michael jackson,

who's bad ?
Anonymous said…
Hi Layla,

I mean your fevered imagination about what happened after the lights went out. Maybe the person was alone and just felt like being in the dark? Or maybe his/her date went home and left him/her alone in the dark?

IMHO you're just some incurable romantic.

I was having the same problem as you; 3.30 AM and I can't sleep. What shall I do? Oh, drop in on Layla Anwar and see how she's doing, and what do I find? Layla has become a Goddess, just like I said long ago, and she now has the Icon to prove it. LOL

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgndxxjnaUg

Lord Dabass.
Layla Anwar said…
Lord Dabass,

Hello.

OK granted, I may have some feverish imagination at times...As for insomnia, try hot milk and honey. Seems lack of sleep makes one's life shorter. But I keep saying,we will be underground for eternity anyways...so what difference does it make.
Layla Anwar said…
OH Great song too...

Popular posts from this blog

Diss Information.

How Sensitive...

Some thoughts on Forgiveness...