October 6, 2008

On Dignity...


Are you aware that not many people use the above word these days ?

Dignity.

How many people do you come across that would mention "dignity" in your face ?

My bet is not too many.

Most people I come across use the following words too frequently -- Fun, pleasure, sex, money, self, (as in myself, me and I- the boring ego), and they may go even further and use the words - justice, equality, love, peace...

But how many did you come across in the last years, months, weeks and days that have used the word "dignity "?

My bet is that the last time you heard the word was probably eons ago.

I want to bring back dignity into fashion.

I realize that the word is not so cool and fashionable these days. But I insist on bringing it back to the forefront and make it an explicit, imperative, crucial word in your day to day vocabulary.

Dignity is not to be confused with self importance, nor with ego. Dignity is above these two. If you search and look for your own dignity as a human being, you will find fairness, justice and love. They go together. You need to ponder on that one deeply...

Dignity is in my opinion a form of Nobility. Nobility not in a class sense, but in a being sense...

Iraqis have many faults and many shortcomings, but one thing you will find in any "average" Iraqi is dignity. Of course there are exceptions, like in any society. But overall that dignified trait you will find it, even though it may be covered with grief, want, lack, circumstances and the like...

Dignity is one of our strong points. Forget about the riff raff you read on blogs and elsewhere. Forget about the ignorant idiots who think themselves smart because they can articulate a word or two...These don't represent us. They only represent themselves and the Occupier and the filthy taqiya Iran. They don't represent true Iraqis, at least not the Iraqis I know and grew up with...

We have been brought up to stand upright. To stand for truth and principles even though that bothered us on a personal level. Because that meant that we had to sacrifice self, always, for the greater good. We have become a rare breed, almost extinct...Hence my constant disappointment and anger with today's Iraqis. They are no longer of us.

I say "us" with a whole lot of assurance, because I know it to be so...I have experienced, lived it, and even rebelled against it.

Trust me when I say I know.

The epitome of Dignity for me is Saddam Hussein. The day he stood at the gallows bare faced, composed, full of assurance, full of life... I will never ever forget that day for as long as I live. Simply because that day for me, on a personal and am sure on a collective level, will remain as a mark, a stamp, a seal of the ultimate.

Very difficult to put in words...

For me Saddam Hussein's death is the epitome of everything I really need to learn in this life time. Something so crystal clear, so pure yet so vulnerable...Something that defies human understanding, human psychology and human fears...

There was/is something so dignified about this man. Something that beats all human understanding...A certain form of manhood that is so rare, ever so rare.. A form of love that is so difficult to ever experience. A dignity so impossible to find...and so impossible to measure up to.