March 16, 2008

"Rotting Away"

Spoke to Auntie Sameera today. She said

"We are rotting away at times I feel my heart is going to burst...
Can you imagine our only outing is to the vegetable store, 3 minutes away. We consider that an important event. Your cousins dress up for that occasion...But then we don't even know if we will make it back in one piece...Layla, my heart is going to burst..."

Met with Fatima, she arrived from Baghdad a few days ago. She said

They kept me at the airport for 4 hours, they saw am here for medical purposes and have a sponsor, but still they kept me like a dog. Could they not see am an elderly woman, hardly able to breathe ? Yalla it's better than the bombs...Do you know who puts these car bombs ya Layla? The Americans and the Iranians, of that we are 100% sure. They leave us to rot that way...

Spoke to Zakaria

Are you managing to cope with no water and no electricity?

What water and what electricity ? I have forgotten what they look like. Yabbah, we are all rotting away...

Radhee called me

Layla, am so bored, I know I keep calling you, am so bored at home, I have nothing to do, I can't go out, Wallah I feel am rotting in this prison...

Nawal said to me

Did you know I managed to go to Al Rasheed Street, it's been over 2 years since I've ventured there, but had to go

What's it like now? I asked

It looks worse than Kabul, it's rotting away...What is left of Baghdad is rotting away...

Painting: Iraqi artist, Rakkan Dabdoob.