February 6, 2008

Liberation Theology...


Today, for the first time in decades, the stars have been stripped away from our national flag.

Our flag looks like some barren land with no stellar luminosity, some black hole, some chaotic big bang...

There’s no Milky Way, no Venus and no Aphrodite...
There’s an anachronistic, pagan, marble God scripted on a cheap satin flag.
He's even desperately wondering who He really is.
And He wonders...

What am I doing on this flag ? This stripped flag, this naked flag ?
What is this writing ?

Why do they quote Me everywhere when I was not consulted ?
Parties, banners, slogans, and loyalties...

Do you think I really care?

I am counting blood droplets,
counting them one by one...
like some efficient lab technician.

I measure blood counts and hemoglobin levels...
I keep track of severed limbs,
like some dedicated accountant,
I audit morgues and graves
And I monitor survivors...

I am not stuck on some new flag.

You can find me in a street corner, begging,
Or in some garbage dump, scavenging,

You can also find me hidden in a child’s hunger pang
Or in the wailing screams of a widow...

You can also search for me in a tent, in a dilapidated hospital
in a tainted prison or in some empty school...

I hide behind ruins. I am buried beneath rubbles...
I am there waiting for you.

I don’t recognize flags. I only recognize martyrs.
I recognize those you have forgotten.
I recognize those you have abandoned.
I recognize them and call them out by their names...

I am Free, I am God.
I am no prisoner of some writing, of some script, of some flag...
I was, am and will be, forever Free
And so are you.

Take my name off this flag,
you and I have long parted...

But I am here
so close,
For those who remember Freedom,
For those who remember Me.

Painting: Iraqi artist, Naseem AbdelRahman